Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Butterick 3595 with waterfall collar - part 1



I've seen some very positive reviews about this pattern, and have always wanted to make it.  But then I saw this jacket:


And fell in love with the collar!  So I decided to adapt my pattern to add the waterfall collar.  Now, I haven't drafted for many years now.  I've been buying patterns when I sew for myself or family because I'm usually sewing Home Dec projects for work.  But I have about 1 week more to concentrate on my own things before I might have work flowing in again, so I'm going to get this collar drafted!

I've consulted my Patternmaking book and the only helpful thing could figure out was that this collar is based on a shawl collar design.  So I'm starting with that.  Then after consulting with some of the helpful ladies at PatternReview.com,  I managed to figure out how the waterfall collar was drafted.  So now it's trial and error.

Here's my first draft at the front pieces.


After folding the collar to what I'd like it to look like, it seems a little wimpy.... see?


I'm thinking of lengthening it a little more and adding a bit more to the Center Back seam.  Crossing my fingers.
And yes, I know I should be taking pics to post of my recent Mini-Wardrobe entries, but I REALLY want to have this jacket!  :D  I'll get to those pics soon....

No comments: