It's a pain. After a few hours of fiddling with tension, changing needles, varying spool pins, trying a few different brands of invisible thread and playing around with my BSR foot, I finally got it... maybe. Okay... I'm not so good at it yet, but I'm learning. Here's what it looked like at the end of day 1.
Here's some creative threading... If you look carefully, you can see that I completely bypassed the tension discs. The thread is running across the front of my machine. It left a mess on the backing, but at least I got it sewing.
Then I tried again later... And darn if I'm not having the same problems. I did the same thing, had the exact same settings, and still there's a mess of thread underneath. Everytime I changed direction, I heard SCRUNCH.......;WRRR.........WHIIRRRR... So I had to stop and found a mess of thread tangled up in the machine. So this time, I thought maybe it's being finicky about the foot. I removed the BSR and used my free motion quilting foot. Unfortunately, I don't have one with good visibility yet, (NOTE to self: GET FOOT #24). But again, darn if I'm gonna stop now that it's working again.
Here's a pic of what was happening. Again, I couldn't keep pulling out thread because the appliques were getting a bit frayed. So I left this mess and decided to go on.
Eventually I got it working again and managed to finish the rest of the blocks without much incident over the next few days. It appears the problem was with the foot. I have no idea why I can't use the BSR unplugged, but it doesn't work like that. I used my Foot 27, free motion quilting foot with the teardrop opening. It worked well... forward, sidewards and backward.
I'll post pics of the finished ones later... maybe even back AND front views.