Sunday, February 27, 2011

New Look 6889

SUPER SIMPLE!  If only I wore more dresses!    I made view D.  Originally, I made this pattern using silk twill.  According to measurement charts, I should cut a size 12.  But I cut the 10 after checking the finished measurements on the pattern tissue.  It was still baggy, so I took it in along the side seams by about 1" per side seam.  I could still pull it over my head, and it looks lots nicer.

Then I did it up in a tricot knit for a nightie.  I reduced the gathers along the neckline, pinching out about 1/2" total since I don't have much bust to fill it up.  Being that this fabric stretches, I also took in an additional 1" at the waist.   It gave it a little more shape and it's still comfortably loose.  Here's what the pattern looked like after I altered it.

Originally, I did follow the directions and used a self-fabric bias tape to make the neckline and armhole facings.  For the knit dress, I just did the fold over and sew thing.  Much faster, easier and still looks great.
I'm so sorry I don't have better pictures because this dress looks a lot better than the pictures I'm posting.  I'm considering doing a few tops in some knit fabric since the nightie came out so comfortable and it was very quick to put together.  I think it took about 2 hours from start to finish...

1 comment:

BrusselsSprout_Katharine said...

Wonderful! Nice tropical Hawaiian print. Finally, a 2-hr pattern is a 2-hr pattern :)

Thinking of you today as the tsunami waves roll into Hawaii. *hugs*

Also I hope your appt with the naturopath went well.